- 2, 1 pound pieces of salmon, skin on
- 1/2 cup salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons of freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons of spirits, like aquavit or vodka
- 1 bunch of fresh dill, roughly chopped, stems and all
- Combine the salt, brown sugar and pepper and rub this mixture all over the salmon (the skin too). Add a splash of vodka or whatever spirit you're using. Put most of the dill on the flesh side of one of the fillets, sandwich them together, flesh to flesh, and rub any remaining salt-sugar mixture on the outside; cover with any remaining dill, then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Place the salmon in a dish and place another dish on top to weight it. You can add some unopened cans on top for added weight. Refrigerate.
Flip the salmon package every 12 to 24 hours. When the flesh is opaque, on the second or third day (you will see it changing when you flip it), it's done curing. Slice thinly as you would smoked salmon -- on an angle and without the skin.